Manipur state lies between Longitude 92º59´00” E to 94º45´00” E Longitude and Latitude 23º56´00” N to 25º41´00 N Latitude covering an area of 22,327 square kilometers. The valley covers nearly 700 square miles and the rest is covered by hills. The population of Manipur according to the latest census of the Indian government is a little over twenty four lakhs. More than two-third of the population are Meitei Hindus and Muslims, the rest are the Christian Tribals.
When the British rule became firmly established in Manipur in 1894 a British national by name Rev.William Pettigrew was able to get permission to enter into Manipur to do a mission work of proclaiming the gospel of Christ to the natives. He was not a Baptist originally but afterward, became a Baptist Missionary sponsored by the American Baptist Foreign Missionary Society. He started a school for the children of the government officials in 1895 at Imphal. The Raja of Manipur objected to this missionary work and consequently he was given option either to leave Manipur or work in the hills. Rev.William Pettegrew chose to work in the hills rather than leave Manipur. He arrived at Ukhrul in February, 1896 and started his mission work. Within a short span of time the school became Middle English School, perhaps the first of its kind in Manipur. The only means of communicating the gospel to the people was first to educate the people.
As the First World War broke out in 1914 in Europe and the impact of the War was the necessity of raising a Labour Corps among the hill people of Manipur to help in the War. At the same time a severe epidemic broke out in Manipur. At this crucial period Rev.William Pettigrew was asked by the government to help in the medical work especially to look after the epidemic from which many had suffered. Rev.William Pettigrew was also appointed by the government to be a leader of recruiting the Lobour Corps for France. He took the initiative part to help the government and returned with triumphant victory. For all these good service rendered by him to the government, the government had given the present Kangpokpi Mission Compound for the missionary work.
Thus the work of the mission was started at Kangpokpi Mission Compound in 1920. The work developed mainly in two different lines namely Educational and Medical works. This new mission centre began to grow gradually and today these two institutions, the MTC and the Kangpokpi Christian Hospital become very well known to the people of Manipur. From 1953 the Middle English School was closed and instead, aVernacular Bible School, called Central Bible School was started by the last Missionary J.S.Anderson who left Manipur on 8th November 1954 This Vernacular Bible School was developed into English Medium Diploma Certificate course in 1969 and the name of the Institution was also changed into Manipur Bible Institute and offered a three years Certificate of Bible Studies (CBS) course. In 1981 the CBS course was changed into Diploma of Biblical Studies (DBS) by the CBCNEI Theological Committee. As demanded by the people, the Manipur Baptist Convention (MBC) Executive Council decided to upgrade it to B.Th. level and it was done in 1984. With this the name of the Institution was changed into Manipur Theological College (MTC). The College got conditional affiliation to the Senate of Serampore College in 1992.
In September 23rd 2002 the Senate commission members visited the College. They recommended to the Senate for full-fledged affiliation. The next year in 2003 the Senate of Serampore College granted full-fledged affiliation to MTC.
Another step of development in the history of the college was the introduction of BD course. For a long time MTC Board had been discussing to introduce BD. Course at MTC. Finally the matter was put up at the MBC Executive Council Meeting of 2006 and the Council approved the proposal (MBCEC/156/3(B) MTC). Hence the College could introduce BD course at the academic session of 2007. Formal inauguration of BD programme was conducted on June 18, 2007 at MTC Chapel hall with four Board Members. Rev.Dr.Hawlngam Haokip, Board Chairman, inaugurated the programme. Following the inauguration of BD programme we applied to the Senate of Serampore for recognition of BD course in MTC. Accordingly in January 10-12, 2008 the Senate Commission team comprising three members visited MTC for evaluation. After inspecting all the facilities they assured us that they would recommend to the Senate of Serampore College for provisional affiliation to MTC for BD course. Consequently at the annual Serampore Convocation held at Gospel for Asia Seminary, Kerala in
February 2008 the Senate of Serampore College granted provisional affiliation to MTC for BD course with effect from June 2008. Meanwhile B.Th course was being phased out gradually. The last batch of B.Th passed out in 2010.
On the completion of three years provisional affiliation the Senate sent one member evaluation team to MTC in December 18, 2011. After taking survey of all facilities and infrastructure it recommended to the Senate of Serampore College for full fledged affiliation to MTC. Accordingly at the annual meetings and convocation held in Feb.8-11, 2012 at New Theological College, Dehradun, Uttarakhan, the Senate voted to grant full-fledged affiliation to MTC for BD studies with effect from 2012 June academic session. With this our long cherished dream has come to a reality.